Monday, September 12, 2011

Early September.

So this blog might be long, because a lot has happened over the past week(s?). So last Friday I went to the Matra Mountains with my host family, which was a lot of fun. We drove up and then walked up this path and took some pictures because we were at the very highest point in Hungary. Then we walked along a forest path and my host mom told me about how there are a lot of little squirrels in this forest and you have to call them to see them. She said the person that lives in this huge old mental institution looking building lives there because he needs clean air to breathe, and every morning he gets up and feeds the squirrels. My host mom got some acorns and was hitting them together saying “mow-kush, mow-kush” which is what the Hungarian word for squirrel sounds like. Eventually the squirrels came, and it was a good time. When we left we went to this other place overlooking the city and rode a mini roller coaster. Then we got traditional Hungarian food. I don’t remember the name but it was like pancakes (acorn and chocolate filling flavor) and a fried potato dish that had cheese. Both were very good!
On Saturday we went to my Host Grandparents house. Both sets were very sweet and we ate lunch with them. I met my host mom’s brother and his family, and then went to see my host dad’s house. We just looked from the outside because he wasn’t home. At this point was didn’t feel good, and was exhausted. I slept on the way home and then crashed when we got home. I slept for about 6 hours so I didn’t go to the festival they had on that day. On Sunday we chilled at home and I had a really good day. As the week went on it started to sink in that this is my new life and I won’t be going home. That was really difficult and I was sad. It was especially hard because I hadn’t made many friends and felt very alone. After two days of self pity I decided I needed to make a move and ask someone to hang out. I did that, and now I have plans to go out with people. It was nice because I finally felt like I was making progress. So as the week progressed I learned I 1) Have to do a Rotary Presentation on Tuesday evening, partly in Hungarian 2) Will be moving to Budapest in January and 3) Had a orientation meeting for Rotary on the weekend.
So on Friday I had ice cream with a Turkish exchange student who isn’t with Rotary, and that was fun. Then I headed of to Debrecen for a Rotary conference. (Debrecen is like 1.5 hours south of my town). We met a school and met all the other exchange students. Then we went to a set of cabins outside of town in the woods. They were very dirty but it was okay. We didn’t do much and when we woke up we had breakfast and were bussed back to the school. We then sat through orientation for 4 hours. It was boring except for the fact that we were told all the trips we have a choice to take throughout the year; including Italy, Austria, Poland, trips in Hungary and of course the Europe tour at the end of the exchange. Then we got to go into Debrecen and were told to meet up around 5. The Debrecen mall is where everybody pretty much went and it was so cheap! The shirts were on average from $8-12. I saw an advertisement for $13 jeans, but I didn’t buy anything anyways. Then we went back to the camp and had dinner and then had a disco. I was debating on whether to go and I’m so glad I did. I met so many of the other exchange students (there are 43 total so it’s hard to talk to everybody) and I had a blast. We danced until like Midnight when it was just me a Brazilian and a Mexican left. It was a good time. Then I thought I was going to go to bed but me and this girl Annika (Colorado) went into one of the Brazilians rooms where we stayed until like 3:30 am. All the Brazilians were in there and it was like walking into Brazil. Brazilian music, food, and flags everywhere. (Brazilians are very patriotic) and everybody speaking Portuguese. But we ended up playing Truth or Dare which was a good time. The next day we got breakfast and went back to Debrecen to be picked up or take a train. My host dad and sister picked me up and we stopped at a store and then went to his house. I met his partner, Orse, and her son Bence- all very nice. They also have to dogs and a cat. It kinda made me miss my pets but it was a good type of miss. I didn’t go to school today because my sister is sick. I think I should post some pictures now.

Cinnamon Bread and Apricot jelly- yummmm. 

Not the school (referred to in blog) but I different school.

Americans! Included- New York (2), Michigan (2), California (2),
 Pennslyvania, Colorado, Alaska, Ohio, Washington, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment