Thursday, October 20, 2011

For your information

So, I know this is overdue- but blogging tends to be a hassle. I just have to remind myself I will want to remember everything that happens and therefore need to keep this going.
First I’ll start with saying that even though I have bad days sometimes and miss home a lot I still am SO SO SO glad to be here. I can’t even imagine being in Midland this year. I’ve met amazing people and I will just say if you are on the fence about doing exchange do it! I think it will be very hard to go home simply because I will realize what I’m missing. I find myself just wanting to mix two lives. I want to bring my family and friends here and want the USA to be in the middle of Europe. On the other hand I think about how much I’ve come to appreciate home. I feel like no matter how far or where I go home will always be home and nothing will ever take its place. I don’t think I realized how much different cultures are. Once you change cultures you realize how adapted you are to your culture. So I will list some subtle differences in our two Cultures.
·         I don’t know if I mentioned this in an earlier blog but the girls tend to not wear shorts. They wear skirts or jeans- sometimes they wear shorts but it isn’t as common (in my experience).
·         Censorship is almost nonexistent here.  They don’t bleep out swear words on the radio whatsoever- that could be because they don’t think people will understand. Also, on magazine/newspaper advertisements you will see topless women- I’m talking full frontal.
·         The door hinges are on the other side (in some cases). When I first tried to shut Barbi’s bedroom door I didn’t think it had one because there was a door but it looked like it was coming from another room. The door hinges were on the right part of the door frame and the handle on the left.
·         Hungarian bread is fantastic. American bread- I may not ever eat it again.
·         Hungarian prices are cheaper in almost every aspect. For example a 1.5L of water will cost me about 53 cents. New shoes are about $12-15. A new coat is about $30. A sub that is longer than a foot will cost me about $1.25 at the school store. Take that subway!
·         Village life is much more common. When I say village I mean village. It takes at least a 10 minute ride to get into town and all you see are homes and fields.
·         Pets are less common- somewhat common but not like in the USA. In the village usually pets live outside if the family does have them, in the flats people tend to have small animals; cats or small dogs.
·         Teenagers stay home a lot more, or that is my impression. At home most students go to the football games every Friday and then see each other on Saturday or Sunday. Usually we see our friends at least once a weekend. But Hungarians usually don’t see each other as much. They go out occasionally but it is much different than at home. (Maybe it is just where I live, but that seems to be the case).

Okay this blog is long enough. I will be posting a follow up blog about my trip to Italy shortly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment