Monday, November 28, 2011

Győr and Thanksgiving

So I thought I should update you all on Thanksgiving.
But first a tiny bit on my trip to Győr!
Győr is a city on the other side of the country but it only takes about 2 hours by car to get there. My friend Orse was an exchange student in Michigan (Owosso) last year and she lives in Győr. I wanted to see her so we decided we would spend the weekend together. She picked me up on a Friday and then we drove to Győr. We talked the whole way just about how things were going and stuff. Then we got to Győr and I met her parents. They are the sweetest people and I felt very happy there. Her mom made dinner which was really good and then we watched Bride Wars. We chilled and then Orse called the other exchange students and we agreed to hang out. So we hung out with them Friday night. On Saturday morning we had to get up early to catch a train and go to Budapest for a Rotary sport day thing put on my ex- exchange students. We didn’t play a lot of sports mostly the current exchange students just talked. It was me, Arthur (Brasil), Taylor (NY) –both in Gyor- Nicole (CA), and Jill (FL). Like I said we pretty much just chatted but it was a lot of fun. Then we went to TGI Fridays with a few other exchange students and just chilled some more. Then Arthur, Taylor, Orse and a few other ex- exchange students took the train back to Gyor. That night we all hung out with a few future exchange students Parscha and Bence and Orse’s friend Aggie. We went to a karaoke bar and then a dance club. We danced for a few hours and it was a great time. Then we went home. Then next day Orse, and I watched The Devil Wears Prada while Aggie slept. Then they took me home. It was an excellent weekend.
Obviously I didn’t go into detail but I don’t want to make this too long.
Okay, onto Thanksgiving. Nicole (CA) met a woman on her flight on the way here who is American. She, her husband, and four children lived in Estonia for 14 years before moving to a city outside Budapest. They invited the American exchange students to have Thanksgiving with them. I was very happy about this because I obviously wanted to celebrate it. I originally planned to go with my friend Annika who lives in Budapest after spending the night before with her and then we were going to go together. We spent Wednesday night together but unfortunately she got something like the stomach flu on Thursday morning so she couldn’t go with me. L However, she is an angel and wrote me excellent directions because I had never used public transportation besides busses and I was a little worried because I had to use bus, metro and train. Luckily I survived and met Nicole, Jill and Teri (PA) for the train ride. So we went to the family’s home and it was so nice. We all agreed like we felt like we were in the USA. The food was excellent we had turkey, chicken, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, rolls, casserole, and various types of pies. We also had buckeyes. Everything was sooooo good! Then we played Apples To Apples with the kids- (I won ;] ) and we hung out. Then we had to go, which was sad because it felt so much like home. I got home safely and skyped with my parents (who were at my Grandparents house with the rest of my family) and said hello to everyone before going to bed. I’m really grateful that the family invited us over because I think if I didn’t celebrate it, it would have been a rough day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment